Friday, May 23, 2008

kids can sometimes be a pain...literally!

my poor daughter's had a cough on and off for the past few days, and last evening it seemed a bit worse, so i had a bad feeling that i'd be awakened sometime during the night to "mamamamamama" and arms reaching up from her crib, wanting to be comforted.

sure enough, after an evening of last comic standing and fighting off the head-bobs to stay awake long enough to watch newly-crowned idol david cook on leno, i drifted off to sleep for two short hours. her sweet little voice cried out for me at 2:30 am, and we snuggled on the couch for a few hours until she finally drifted off.

ever since she was a tiny baby, she's enjoyed resting her head on my tummy and stretching her legs out in the middle of my legs. she'll often fall asleep like that, and last night, after she snoozed in my arms for awhile, i placed her there in her favorite comfy spot. unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be my comfy spot, because when she awakened at 5:30 am wanting to tune into whatever was on Noggin, I got up from the sofa and a stabbing pain traveled through my lower back and on down into my left leg. i had sciatica problems when i was pregnant with her and they'll sometimes recur when i pick up something (like my daughter) and i'm thrown off-balance. i wasn't expecting that a 26 pound little toddler lying on me would cause such pain!

fortunately, i had no meetings or pressing projects this morning in the office, so i let the hot shower soothe my frazzled nerve endings and let the meds kick in while i stretched out in my empty bed for an extra hour or so. the pain's eased up a little as i sit at my desk in my comfy ergonomic chair, and hopefully it will be a pain-free night as i contemplate what to cook for dinner, spend time playing with my daughter and finally ease into the long weekend. happy memorial day!

No comments: