Wednesday, May 21, 2008

what did i do wrong?!

picture this -- i'm pulling out of the driveway this morning with my daughter in tow, heading to drop her off at daycare and then to work. i pass Dork a few blocks from home, and he has his window rolled down and is waving at me.

i pull close enough to 'high five' him, and he tells me he went to get me breakfast and proceeds to hand over a huge coffee and a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich (and this isn't just micky dees, either..., it's panera, so it's the decent, no-trans-fat-filled stuff that he went out of his way to get).

i thank him, blow him a kiss, drop off the kid, and then, as i've got the radio cranked on my way to work, it dawns on me. my husband, being of the male species that he is, didn't get me breakfast for no reason at all...either he knows he's about to land in the doghouse for something he did and is trying to dig himself out before i find out, or he's trying to make me feel guilty for something i didn't do. turns out it's the latter.

"honey, i was just thinking," i say to him on my cell as i'm driving up the road that leads to my office parking lot, "why did you *really* get me breakfast?!" he acted a little taken off-guard at first, but then lets me have it....lo and behold, i've been a little 'surly' to him lately and he was just trying to cheer me up. (but as my female co-worker so aptly pointed out, he's also rewarding my bad behavior! of course i'll stay bitchy if it means i get a treat every morning...)

i admit, sometimes i am surly....i've always been the kind of person who seems like i'm always in a good mood and pretty positive, and i usually am....but when i'm not, i only let it show at home. my friends and co-workers have never seen me really mad or pissed off....the only person who really gets the brunt of my anger or surliness is him. sometimes i guess from being 'on' all day and from juggling work, a home, and being a mom and wife, i let down my guard at home and get into my 'leave me the f#$& alone' mode (especially late at night after the little one's gone to sleep and he's surfing through 32 different channels over the course of a two-minute commercial break while simultaneously surfing the web and not talking to me even though we haven't seen each other for more than a few hours over the past couple of days...oh wait, do i sound bitter about that?!)

and speaking of being bitter....when the eff is the sun ever going to come out?! we've had so much rain and coldness lately, i forget what the sun looks like, even though i think i saw it for a few minutes this morning. i really want to take my daughter to the park that's two blocks from our house -- she loves the swings and running through the grass, but it's been so muddy lately. i know we'll have lots of time to do that this summer, but i get impatient!

1 comment:

Megan : Velveteen Mind said...

I read somewhere that once your children, as young toddlers, begin to treat you badly, you know you are doing your job. You've made them feel secure enough to risk hurting your feelings.

Yeah, I tried that line out on my husband during one of my "surly" days and it didn't fly, either.

Thanks for including me in your blogroll, by the way. Fabulous company I am keeping there!